Visiting the Past Part 2 - Witney & Oxford

After my month-long trip to Australia in 2008, I stayed put in South Africa for almost two years. I was unhappy with my life to say the least. I spent most of my time earning money just to throw it away on an expensive cost of living, and only venturing out to the nearest mall, nightclub, or friend's house. I was hardly opening my mind or broadening my horizons. In short, I missing out on the good stuff.

In June 2010, I abruptly moved to England. I stayed with my family who had emigrated there from South Africa a few years before - my father, step-mother, and three younger sisters. It was a big change after being a (somewhat) independent 20-year-old. Suddenly I wasn't the master of my own kitchen anymore, and had to navigate one of my worst enemies again - public transport. We lived in the town of Witney, population 25,000, which is a quaint place filled with pretty old buildings from the Middle Ages. Yes, it's bloody ancient, and I quickly became used to my new old world: cobblestone alleys, chancels and spires, and names like Wood Green, or Tower Hill.

Besides the bits of travelling I managed around the county, I spent many weekends in Oxford - another ridiculously old place, but with a lot more going on than my small town. It's where I would go pub-hopping or band-watching at night, and window-shopping with a million other people during the day. This is my personal slogan for the place: "Oxford: home to traffic jams and 9.3 million tourists a year, who can usually be spotted in their Oxford University hoodies licking a Thornton's ice cream."

Here are some photos from my year of living in Witney:


Snow in Witney, England
A snow-covered street in town.
British Inn
"The Plough Inn" - how British.
Snow in Witney, England
The view from my bedroom window in December.
Snow in Witney, England
This was my neighbourhood - pretty small and uniform.
Snow in Witney, England
Our tiny backyard covered in snow - polar opposite to South Africa.
Snow in Witney, England
The view out my bedroom window during snowfall.
Snow in Witney, England
The same view after the snow fell. I had never seen snow okay!
Witney, England
This was the house we lived in.
Witney, England
A street in Witney.
Witney, England
Garden-envy.
Witney, England
I used to walk past this all the time to get into town.
Witney, England
The route home.
Witney, England
Swans that I would say hello to almost every day.
Oxford, England
One of the views I would usually see on the bus to Oxford.
Oxford, England
Another one of those views.
Cake in Oxford, England
Cake in Oxford. Yes, I have a problem.
Boats in Oxford, England
Oxford scenery.
Cathedral in Oxford, England
Massive old cathedrals, nothing new - Oxford.

4 comments:

  1. The personal slogan you have for Oxford is really good. Enjoyed this trip through your stay in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Witney looks very quaint. Enjoyed 'snow' pictures. You capture the English country side well

    ReplyDelete
  3. My new (very old) Home Town - Witney for Wit Nits! Winter on its way. Want to come over and add more wintery pics to your post?

    ReplyDelete